There were a few things that happened today which took me off guard. Nothing too serious, just a few things that left me feeing slightly anxious and unsettled. Our planned Tuesday night Body Balance class was, however, the perfect cure.
One hour of stretching and strength poses later, and I was feeling calmer and more 'balanced' if you will. I even tried to use some of your wonderful tips from last week during the meditation section of the class.
Before class I set about getting tonight's dinner on the stove so that it would be ready for when we arrived home. The only downside to our class is that it doesn't finish until 8. So prior preparation and planning is a must!
Tonight's Mystery Box ingredient....
Did you know? Corn is a great source of fibre which can assist with lowering cholesterol and digestion problems. It is also rich in B1 (thiamin) and folate, and contains antioxidants, useful in fighting cancer causing free radicals.
With such a versatile ingredient for inspiration, the options for dinner were endless. However, to 'showcase' what is one of my all time favourite vegetables, I decided to make a corn chowder. Which, by its very nature, is really nothing but corn!
While a lot of corn chowders are heavy on cream or milk, I wanted to make a lighter version.
No cream, lots of herbs, and lots of flavour. That was the aim this evening.
Before class I prepped the chowder, and pureed it until smooth. Then, when we arrived home, it was simply a matter of stirring through the extra corn kernels and reheating....
Topped with a sprinkle of feta and parsley.
And, just in case the chowder was not enough to showcase this wonderful ingredient, I baked a stack of corn tortilla "chips".
Perfect for dipping into the warm and "cosy" bowl of chowder.
The "three C's" if you please....
Cosy Corn Chowder
- 6 large corn cobs
- 2 large potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 tbs corn flour
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 4 cups water
- 2 tsp coriander, ground
- 1 tsp cumin, ground
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- Parsley and feta to serve
- Remove kernels from the corn cobs, and save 3 of the cobs.
- Heat olive oil in a large pan and sautée the onion and garlic until translucent. Add cornflour and cook stirring for 1 minute.
- Add stock, 3 cup of water, 3/4 of the kernels, 3 cobs, potatoes and herbs.
- Bring to the boil, reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes or until the potatoes are tender. Season to taste.
- Remove the cobs and cool the chowder slightly.
- Blend in batches until smooth. Return to the heat and stir through the remaining corn kernels. Heat until thick and creamy.
- Divide among serving bowls and top with parsley and feta.
Corn Tortilla Chips
- Spray corn tortillas with olive oil and cut into "chips". Bake on a lined tray at 180C for 15 minutes, or until toasted, flipping once.
What about you? What is your favourite dish using corn?
Happy Baking :)