Tonight’s dinner came about when I realised there was a portion of tofu in the fridge that needed to be used, and an abundance of tinned tomatoes in the pantry.
Thus, I decided to make another batch of my tofu meatballs, or ‘meat-less’ meatballs if you will.
But this time…with a difference.
When I previously made these meat-less meatballs, the end result was a little plain. So, this evening, I wanted to improve on the original recipe and add some extra flavour.
Flavour improver #1: …
A surprise mozzarella filling!!
Around which the balls were created.
Repeated, until I had myself a little ball army.
Baked until golden brown.
Gotta love that mozzarella ooze…
Time for the flavour improver #2.
A rich tomato sauce using tinned tomatoes, passata and red vinegar – into which I placed the balls. Simmered gently for 10 minutes.
Flavour improver #3….
A big handful of fresh basil!
Resulting in meat-less meatballs that were packed with simple yet tasty flavours.
Is it just me, or are tomatoes and basil the most perfect match made in heaven??
I was really pleased with how these turned out. Unlike last time, they were far from plain.
And the mozzarella surprise ???
Well it gave them just the right amount of flavour … albeit from the inside out :)
A tasty vegetarian meal – and a great way to use leftover tofu!
Meat-less mozzarella meatballs (makes 16) – gluten free
These healthy gluten free vegetarian ‘meat’ balls showcase the wonderful flavours of tofu, tomatoes and basil. With the added surprise of a mozzarella centre, they can also be adapted to be vegan by substituting non-dairy cheese. Eat them “as is'’, or stretch their serving size by piling atop a bowl of spaghetti or perhaps even spinach.
- 300g firm tofu, mashed
- 1 onion, very finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1/4 cup almond meal
- 1/3 cup rice crumbs
- 2 tablespoons GF flour
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 50g mozzarella, cut into small cubes
- 1.5 cups tomato passata
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- 2 tbs red vine vinegar
- 1/2 bunch basil, leaves torn
- oil spray, to grease
- Preheat oven to 200ºC. Line a baking tray with baking paper or a silicone mat. Spray lightly with olive oil spray.
- Combine the tofu, onion, garlic, almond meal,rice crumbs, flour, dried basil and tomato paste in a large bowl until well combined.
- With slightly dampened hands, grab a small handful of the tofu mix. Place a cube of mozzarella in the middle, and work the mixture into a ball around it, making sure the mozzarella is fully enclosed.
- Repeat until you have made 16 balls, and place on the lined baking tray.
- Bake in oven for 16 minutes, turning them over halfway.
- Meanwhile, heat the tinned tomatoes, passata and vinegar in a frypan over a low heat. When the balls have finished baking, place them in the tomato sauce, turning them gently to coat, and continue to cook for 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat, and gently stir through the fresh basil.
- Serve ‘as is’, or atop a bed of spaghetti or spinach.
What about you? Do you have any other ‘flavour ideas’ for these meatless meatballs?
Happy Baking :)