One of my favourite 'road trip ' snacks are chickpea crackers or besan crackers. Tasty, relatively healthy and gluten free - a perfect little snack really.
So when I came across this recipe for homemade chickpea crackers, I was rather excited.
Then when I saw that it was basically mix...
Well I could not be happier!
Delicious homemade crackers from idea to table in under 30 minutes.
Made all the more delicious with the addition of fresh thyme.
Who needs store bought when homemade is so simple!?
Using the blend of besan and herbs as a base….
I cannot wait to experiment with a few more varieties!
Crack-tastic besan and herb crackers ((based on this recipe)
- 1 cup besan flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tbs sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves (or any other herb of your choice)
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup water
- Preheat oven to 175C.
- Sift together the chickpea flour and salt into a medium bowl. Stir through the sesame seeds, thyme and paprika. Make a well in the centre.
- Mix the water and olive oil together, then pour into the well.
- Stir until combined into a dough, then form a ball.
- Place the ball of dough between two pieces of baking paper, and roll out until as thin as possible.
- Remove the top layer of baking paper, then cut into desired shape using a pizza cutter. Prick the surface of each cracker with a fork, then transfer the sheet to a baking tray.
- Bake for 16 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Remove from oven, then allow to cool before breaking crackers at pre-cut edges.
What about you? Have you ever made your own crackers?