Well if last night’s post work walk was all about sunshine, tonight’s walk was quite the opposite. Rain, rain and more rain, but it wasn’t too cold so we donned raincoats and headed out for a short 2km walk to stretch out our legs and catch up on the day’s events.
And even though we arrived home quite late, dinner was already prepared (and just needed to be reheated) owing to another ‘make ahead’ meal we put together over the weekend.
On the menu???
A chilli potato bake!
I started by making the chilli itself – using a selection of vegetables…
Combined with mince…
A selection of spices…
Cooked for half an hour, then finished with kidney beans…
A sprinkle of brown sugar and a splash of red wine vinegar…
And we had ourselves a rich, hearty chilli…
Another handy make ahead meal, and a perfect base for dinner.
You could quite easily omit the minced beef if you want to make a vegetarian version, as the vegetables and kidney beans would make for a hearty chilli in themselves.
Rather than serve the chilli in bowls or with corn chips as we would normally do, I decided to turn use this chilli for a layered potato bake with a difference.
Potatoes, chilli, potatoes, chill, cheese. Top on and baked for 1 hour.
A brown and bubbly potato bake..
We piled the potatoes and chilli on our plate, and finished the dish off with a spoonful of guacamole and sour cream.
Comfort food at its finest.
A nice take on an old’ classic :) Also, as the dish only used half the chilli mix, there was plenty leftover to use over the next few nights. Perfect for late dinners with no fuss.
Chilli potato bake (serves 3 – 4)
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 500g mince beef (or omit if you want to make a vegetarian version)
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 5 mushrooms, diced
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp cayenne powder
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp paprika
- 400g tinned tomatoes, diced
- 1 tbs tomato paste
- 1 can kidney beans
- 1 tbs brown sugar
- 1 tbs red wine vinegar
- 2 - 3 large potatoes, sliced thinly and steamed for 3-5 minutes.
- 1/2 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- Heat oil in a large pan over a medium heat.
- Add beef and mince, and cook until browned.
- Add vegetables and spices, and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add tomato paste and tinned tomatoes, and stir to combine. Lower heat, cover, and cook for 30 minutes.
- Add kidney beans, brown sugar and red wine vinegar, and heat for 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- In an ovenproof dish, place half the potatoes and 1/4 of the mince mixture. Repeat. You will have 1/2 of the mince mixture leftover, that you can freeze or refrigerate to use another day.
- Top with grated cheese, cover, and bake in oven for 1 hour or until the potatoes are cooked through and the dish is golden brown.
- Serve with sour cream and guacamole.
What about you? Did you get any rain in your part of the world today?