I know that 2011 has been a big year in the BBB household. But, it was only when I sat down and looked through my blog posts and photos that I realised just how big.
For if 2010 was a year of development, reflection and adventures, 2011 was more a year of travel, family and fertility.
While the first half of 2011 was filled with races, events and outdoor adventures, when reviewing my photos it became clear to me that the second half was filled with physical and emotional preparation to welcome our daughter in just a few months time. Certainly an adventure of a different kind!
And one that did have an impact on my resolutions aka. my 11 in 2011….
- Work on preparing our family tree (and hopefully add to it!) SUCCESS on the ‘adding part’, FAIL on preparing our family tree.
- Start compiling a family cookbook – FAIL. But this is one to be carried over to 2012.
- Continue to furnish and decorate our new house - SUCCESS. With the landscaping now done, a new couch on order and a nursery in progress, our house is beginning to take shape!
- Continue to blog regularly, daily where possible – SUCCESS – for the most part.
- Complete my 3rd half marathon – SUCCESS. A very soggy Half Marathon!
- Strength train twice per week – Initial SUCCESS – Before I found out we were pregnant, I was strength training regularly. And I can’t wait to get back into it in 2012. I miss my muscles!
- Run 1000km in 2011 (I am so behind on this already....damn lazy January!) – big FAIL! But running has been put to one side until baby BBB arrives.
- Find time for creativity – I am calling this one a SUCCESS. I had a lot of fun cooking and party planning this year, and here is hoping it can be carried over into 2012.
- Treat my body and mind with the respect that it deserves – SUCCESS. Pregnancy has taught me more about intuition and trust than I ever thought possible.
- Write more letters (yes - a must repeat from 2010!) FAIL. I wrote some, but not enough.
- Make time for adventures! SUCCESS – races, travel and time spent outdoors.
But let’s take a quick look back at some of the 2011 highlights, in photos, shall we?
Truthfully, however, I always feel nostalgic and a little sad when it comes time to farewell a year, and today, being the last day of 2011, is no different. Perhaps it is the realisation that time is flying by too quickly, and that we are growing up (whatever ‘growing up’ means).
But as one year disappears and another begins, there is something so very wonderful and exciting about “starting fresh”. For a new year is not only a time for reflection, and a time for celebration, but also a time for aspiration.
And my aspirations for 2012 can be put quite simply:
- Be involved
- Be active
- Be adventurous
- Be kind
- Be patient
Here’s hoping they carry me through to the end of 2012 in style!
What about you? What are your aspirations for 2012?