Remember when I went to Sydney for a little cook off? Well I just realised that I never shared my cook off dish with you…
On the menu? A quinoa paella.
So very simple to make, yet packed with protein and flavour.
My original dish used red and green capsicums, but I had none on hand the other night, so this version had carrots and broccoli instead.
The other flavours were pretty much the same. GG parsley, garlic and chilli, tomato paste, saffron, water and quinoa.
Combined with grilled chicken, and allowed to simmer until the quinoa had soaked up all the liquid.
Finished with some frozen peas and prawns, and cooked for another 5 minutes or so.
Finished with a sprinkle of fresh parsley and lemon wedges, and this quinoa paella was done.
The added bonus being that there is no need for serving dishes.
Just take the entire frypan to the table…
And dig in!
Quinoa Paella (serves 4) * the original version
- olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 green capsicum, diced
- 1 red capsicum, diced
- 2 tbs GG garlic paste
- 2 tbs GG mild chilli
- 1 tbs GG parsley paste
- 2 tbs tomato paste
- Pinch Saffron
- 1.5 cups white quinoa
- 3 cups water
- 2 chicken thigh fillets – skin off, sliced
- 16 x frozen raw prawn cutlets (ie. head off & deveined / but tails on)
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges
- Bunch of fresh flat leaf parsley
- Heat a splash of olive oil in a large frypan. Add the onion, capsicum, herb and tomato pastes. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes, or until the vegetables are starting to soften.
- Add the chicken, and cook until lightly browned.
- Add the saffron, quinoa and water, and stir to combine. Cover and simmer gently for 12 – 14 minutes, or until the quinoa is cooked.
- Add the prawns and peas. Cover and continue cooking for a further 5 minutes,
- Remove from the heat, and stir. Sprinkle with chopped flat leaf parsley, and serve with the lemon wedges.
What about you? Are you a paella fan?