So let me share with you my new favourite chocolate chip cookie recipe.
Inspired by this lovely little cookie jar that I bought a while ago, which, let’s be honest, just looks plain sad when not filled with cookies!
The recipe is based on one from one of my favourite allergy-friendly cookbooks (Babycakes), and despite the long ingredient list, is well worth the effort.
Just try and avoid eating the cookie dough as is – something I am apparently not very good at.
These cookies are gluten free, and if you were to use dairy free chocolate chips, they would also be dairy free / vegan.
The cookies take only a few minutes to put together, then baked in the oven for 15 minutes – making your house smell like quite the bakery!
They are a little chewy, and a little crunchy, which is often hard to achieve when it comes to gluten free baking.
But these are, hands down, my go to cookies when the baking itch strikes!
And the perfect cookie jar filler….
It just won’t stay full for long.
GF chocolate chip cookies (adapted from Babycakes)
- 3/4 cup coconut oil
- 2/3 cup apple sauce
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/4 cup caster sugar
- 2 cups gluten free flour
- 1/4 cup flaxmeal
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1.5 tsp xanthan gum
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 160C. Line two trays with baking paper.
- Combine coconut oil and apple sauce in a small bowl.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the remaining dry ingredients (except for the chocolate chips).
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, and stir to combine. Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Shape spoonfuls of the dough into balls, and place on the prepared trays about 1 inch apart. Press slightly to flatten.
- Bake for 16 minutes, rotating the trays half way through. Allow to cool on the trays for 10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
What about you? Do you have a cookie jar?